Emergency Brake Assembly, Part I

Today I polished-up and re-installed the parts of the emergency brake assembly that bolt onto the differential. I figured it would be easier to get these parts attached prior to reinstalling the differential onto the frame.

I cleaned the parts using scouring pads and Simple Green. I then sanded all of the metal using 220 grit sandpaper, then 320, 400, and 600 grit to get it really clean and smooth. Then I rubbed on some Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, rubbed it around, and then wiped it off using a clean cotton cloth.

There was a pivoting pieces that turns when the emergency brake handle is pulled and actuates the arms that connect to each wheel cylinder. That pivot was composed of two pieces that simply thread together. I re-used the existing felt washer. The pivot is lubricated with grease; I replaced the old grease zerk with a new one using a 5/16″ wrench to tighten it down.

The hole in the pivot accepts a post on the metal bracket which bolts to the driver’s side of the differential.

I re-used the old bolts and nuts, which had washers bent to fit the contour of the differential bracket which the metal piece mated to. I put the bolts on two slots on the differential and then through the holes in the metal bracket. I tightened down the nuts using a 1/2″ socket.

Here is a shot from below. Next I slid the pivot onto the end of the metal mounting bracket.

I slid the old washer over the end of the post and inserted a 3/32″ x 3/4″ long cotter pin through the hole in the end of the post.

As you can see, the pivot rotated back and forth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *