Manifolds

This afternoon I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds from the engine. Although it took some time, it was much easier given that the body is off the frame. Even so, some of the bolts were difficult to reach.

Mounted on the intake manifold are the carb spacer blocks and then the carburetors and the air filter assembly.

There were two hoses that feed engine coolant through the intake from right to left.

I removed both hoses by first loosening the hose clamps with a Philips head screwdriver. Also, on top the manifold is the bracket that the choke cable actuates to operate the carbs.

I freed the choke cable from this bracket by loosening the Philips head bolt that tightens the upper cable bracket and then loosening the lower bolt that holds the end of the cable. I used a 3/8″ socket on the lower bolt.

I then began removing the nuts that hold the intake manifold on the head-studs. I started with the middle and worked outwards using a 13 mm socket.

After I removed those four nuts the manifold didn’t want to come off, so I started removing the bolts for the exhaust manifold, not sure if there were some fasteners that held both manifolds in place.

I removed the top outside nuts using a 13 mm socket and the top inside nuts using a 13 mm ratcheting wrench because the choke bracket prevented me from getting a socket in there.

There were two lower nuts on the outside of the two inner exhaust runners. I was able to remove these using a 13 mm socket with a long extension.

Tucked-in just behind the outer exhaust runners were two more studs (one each side). The manifold prevented me from getting a socket in there to loosen those nuts, or even a ratcheting wrench over the end of the stud. I had to use a box-end 12 mm wrench to loosen the nuts, and it was slow-going.

But that completed the removal of the hardware connecting the intake and exhaust manifolds to the head. The exhaust manifold had three (at first I assumed there were just two, but there were three) bolts attaching it to the exhaust pipe. I removed each of these using a 14 mm wrench and a 14 mm socket with an appropriate extension.

Then I was able to work the intake manifold off the studs.

And next I pulled the exhaust manifold off.

I took both manifolds out to my stripping station. I then realized that the exhaust manifold is covered with some sort of high-heat coating that is bonded to the metal (it is made of steel while the intake manifold is aluminum). I will probably either leave it as-is or coat it with another high-heat coating because there are some voids in the finish. I did apply a coat of stripper to the intake, which appeared to have the same paint as the heat shield.

The intake manifold cleaned up nicely but will need another round of stripper to be fully clean. Note the shiny copper plugs on top of each side.

Once I’ve stripped the remaining paint the manifold will match the rebuilt carbs (once I rebuild them).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *